Dental Care And The Ways It's Linked to Your Overall Well-Being
TOOTH AND GUM ISSUES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO EXTEND BEYOND YOUR MOUTH
Each and every part of the human body influences the rest, so problems that originate in one spot can create a dramatic chain reaction. Our staff at West Bridgewater Dental sets out to talk about the links between your dental health and your general health. A multitude of studies are underway across the globe that are venturing to figure out how your oral health influences general health. Problematic oral health (especially gum disease) can raise your risk of ending up with heart problems, make it more difficult to control blood glucose, and, during pregnancy, harm the infant's health. All of these are great reasons to ensure you practice a suitable oral health program at home and attend biannual appointments with a dental practitioner in West Bridgewater, MA.
HOW DO YOUR TEETH AND GUMS INFLUENCE YOUR OVERALL WELLNESS?
The mouth is a direct pathway to vital organs, such as the heart and stomach. It's no surprise that an infection or inflammation of the teeth or gums can promptly make it to various parts of the body. Here are a few of the most threatening conditions that could be affected by oral health:
- Pregnancy complications: Fluctuating hormones during gestation can put women at higher risk for having gum disease. Gestational gingivitis causes red, swollen gums that tend to bleed. Having progressive periodontal disease (periodontitis) during pregnancy has been tied to premature delivery and underweight newborns.
- Alzheimer's disease: Alzheimer's disease and lessening cognitive function usually lead to more dental problems, probably because the individual has trouble maintaining his or her home oral care regimen.
- Diabetes: Individuals with diabetes need to pay careful attention to their oral health to help control their blood sugar levels. In the event that you have trouble controlling your blood sugar, schedule an appointment with a dentist in West Bridgewater, MA to figure out if gum disease could be part of your issue.
- Heart problems: Studies have found that inflammation in the oral cavity (mostly from gum disease) can raise a person's potential for having a heart attack or stroke.
IMPORTANT ORAL HEALTH STEPS
Numerous steps can be taken to improve or retain your dental wellness and, in turn, your general health. These consist of a diligent oral routine and visiting your dentist in West Bridgewater, MA two times a year.
- Schedule yearly comprehensive dental assessments: For your annual dental health exam, your dentist will use digital x-rays and other diagnostic equipment to look for concerns. Early detection of complications can let you prevent worse problems down the road.
- Consider preventive services: To enhance the health of your teeth and gums, talk to your dental hygienist about using preventive treatments to help in warding off oral issues.
- Tell your general pracititioner about your oral wellness: If your general practitioner is medicating you for blood sugar issues or cardiac disease, they need to know about any oral health problems.
- Tend to oral health complications promptly: If your dentist finds a problem, it's key to set up a visit as soon as possible to have it addressed.
- Tell your dental practitioner about your health record: When speaking to your dentist, be straightforward about your medical history and all of your existing issues that you may have.
- Brush your teeth two times a day: At minimum two times per day, you need to be brushing your teeth for no less than two minutes with a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Get professional cleanings biannually: To remove the buildup that can accumulate on your teeth, you should go to your dentist in West Bridgewater, MA a minimum of twice per year to undergo a dental cleaning.
- Floss at least once a day: Adults and children need to floss at least once daily to remove the tartar and food particles from in between your teeth.
IMPROVE YOUR DENTAL WELLNESS TO ENHANCE YOUR OVERALL HEALTH
Start to pay attention to your teeth and gums and strengthen your general well-being. Researchers have found evidence implying that disease and bacteria in your oral cavity can be harmful to your general health, both currently and later on. Prioritizing your gums and teeth is a critical part of your overall health, so make an appointment with a dental practitioner in West Bridgewater, MA to have a dental wellness exam and thorough cleaning. When you need a great team of skilled professionals who provide comprehensive care as well as innovative treatments, get in touch with West Bridgewater Dental.